August 15, 2004
The default language identification tool had ceased to work; this has now been fixed.
February 5, 2004
A problem has been fixed with the Kataku
translator (English to and from Indonesian
), when translating text.
September 3, 2003
A Thai keyboard has been added. It is still under construction, as Thai has compound letters I have yet to deal with.
August 27, 2003
A listing of all the internal names for each language has been added to the language pages
. Also links to the Alternative Dictionary
are now on every language page,
along with a warning that they include offensive terms. I don’t see why I shouldn’t include these links; we’ll see how many complaints I get. Later:
links to The Rosetta Project
are now on all language pages.
Same goes for links to the Yahoo! Directory
August 25, 2003
Two new and related tools today. The first is very simple: Translate & Identify
is a framed page where one frame is the language identification
page and the other is the main Translation Wizard page.
The second is more complex. I think it is fairly powerful, and I hope not too difficult to use. It is a Bookmarklet Maker
which allows you to create a custom bookmarklet for accessing the Translation Wizard with.
As always, I have made lots of minor changes, including a fix for the Kataku
translator when translating text.
August 19, 2003
I believe I have fixed one of the last remaining encoding issues. Characters with diactrics now work appropriately when using the dictionary lookup feature.
August 15, 2003
I completed a new feature today, one which you will probably never use if you are reading this :-)
is the only search engine that includes the Translation Wizard so far (which is actually pretty quick). If you do a search on Google, or one of several other Google-powered search engines,
that includes languages in the query, and arrive at the Translation Wizard main page or one of the language or translator pages, you will see the feature. Actually, if you arrive at the main page, you won’t even notice the feature, which is the way it should be.
Take a look at an example language page, German
, or translator page, EWGate
. Now try this Google query
, and click on the links to pages on the Translation Wizard.
See the feature? It can be even more advanced, such as with this Google query
August 13, 2003
Quite a few additions this update. I added the Freedict
I added information for web page translators on whether they can handle frames, and whether links on them go to translations to the tools
pages and translation results page.
language has been added, and five Thai translators, one of which can translate web pages.
has been added, which can translate text from English to Farsi. If you enter a URL, the Translation Wizard will extract the text and have that translated.
has also been added, which can translate single words between several Asian languages.
Most of the encoding issues have been fixed, and you should now be able to enter text in any of the supported scripts, including diactrics with the Latin script.
Two of the Thai translators include audio files of words. This information is now available on their respective pages and on the translation results.
August 11, 2003
A couple of additions today. A new language has been added, Basque
, along with three single-word translators for it (between Basque, English, and Spanish). [Warning: technospeak] I added the ability to include translators that use POST rather than GET. I’ve done it in a round-about way, but it works.
Because of this, I have added Argjiro.net
, a single-word translator between English and Albanian. On the language pages
I added links to jump within the page if it gets long. The Dictionary Lookup feature (for translating more than one word using a single-word translator)
now includes links to the appropriate translator pages.
The searching by language feature on the language pages has been upgraded quite a bit. Now you can search in the Open Directory (and Google Directory), Google, AltaVista, AlltheWeb, Inktomi (via HotBot), and even the Wikipedia
in that language if there is a large one. Included are the twenty largest Wikipedias with the absence of English and Interlingua.
August 9, 2003
I have added the three characters which were missing from the Arabic keyboard, characters used in Farsi
I have added a note about topics and options
to the Translators page, and also alongside each translation result on the main page.
Today I read up on how to sort arrays in PHP, and so have implemented sorting in about six different places on the language pages
and the tools pages
August 8, 2003
I have added the single-word translator LOGOS
. LOGOS is a different sort of translator than most of the other ones already included: it has many
languages, and can translate between any
two of them.
I wrote a fair bit of new code to handle translators like these, and I will probably change WorldLingo
to this format at some point.
Note that LOGOS can actually translate more languages than are currently listed on the Translation Wizard. As I add these languages, they will become available.
August 7, 2003
I have added two new single-word translators for Estonian
, for translations to and from English and Russian.
I’ve also noticed some encoding problems when using diactrics, so I will have to look into it.
Minor error fixed, WorldLingo
now properly translates Traditional Chinese
August 7, 2003
I have added four new single-word translators for Slovak
, including translation to and from English, German, and Russian.
One of these required me to enable the display of translators with diactrics in their titles, however I haven’t gotten this to work for Cryillic letters yet, which is required for one of these.